Looking after our environment
Millstone House enjoys a lovely position on the outskirts of Staindrop, Co Durham. The property was built in 2017 from locally sourced stone and remains a fine example of a large modern home which fits into our local environment. Operating as a Bed and Breakfast, we have 3 letting bedrooms, all with en-suite facilities together with a guest tea and coffee area, a dining room and outside patio areas.
We enjoy our beautiful surroundings and are committed to protecting them, by seeking and implementing practices which reduce waste and conserve energy, we also recognise that we have a responsibility to communicate this issue to our guests. We aim to minimise our environmental impact through the following policies:
- To audit, identify and monitor the significant environmental impacts of our activities.
- To develop methods of reducing our environmental impact.
- To comply with relevant legislation and regulations, relating to our environmental impact.
- To prevent pollution and minimise our inputs of utilities and resources. We will endeavour to reduce our carbon emissions, reduce waste to disposal facilities and recycle wherever possible.
- To communicate our policy, ensure it is understood by our staff and that appropriate information is given to our guests
- To reduce food miles; buying local, seasonal produce wherever possible and to encourage our suppliers to adopt a responsible approach to environmental issues.
- To support overseas trade and communities by buying produce from Fair Trade sources.
- To work with local organisations and government bodies to communicate, co-operate, lobby and respond to environmental issues.
- To achieve continual improvements in our environmental performance.
Steps We are Currently Taking
Recycling and composting
All of our juice cartons, plastic and glass bottles, paper and card are recycled.
Reducing food miles
We try to reduce food miles as much as we can and have a policy of buying our milk, yoghurts, free-range eggs, bacon, sausages and as many miscellaneous items as possible from local producers. There is an emphasis upon seasonal products.
- We ask you to let us know which towels you would like to be replaced by popping them in the shower if they need changing and leaving them on the towel rail or radiator if you’d be happy to re-use them.
- We have replaced most traditional light bulbs with low energy replacements.
- We have built Millstone House using the latest energy efficient materials in compliance with modern building regulations.